In this post, you'll learn how to import the product data from your plentymarkets system into your emarketing account.
*Note: This assignment of attributes and categories only has to be done once.
Not all Google attributes are mandatory but are highly recommended. This improves the quality of the data feed, which has a positive impact on campaign performance.
*Note: For some industries, the use of certain attributes is mandatory. For example, for apparel articles, the attributes "size" and "color" must be assigned.
You will find a list of all Google Shopping attributes as well as information on whether they are obligatory for you here.
Create product data feed
To configure the product data feed for the first time and to start the data import, please proceed as follows:
In your emarketing account, click on "Integrations -> Edit product data":
Step 1: Define Target Countries
The first step is to configure the target countries, language, and currency for later ad serving.
*Note: If you want to advertise for more destinations, click Add Destination and configure Country, Content Language, and Currency values accordingly.
Click "Next" once you have added all the destinations you want.
Step 2: Attribute Mapping
Next, assign your shop attributes to the matching Google Shopping attributes. The left side of the Google Attributes column lists the Google Shopping attributes. By clicking on the "i" icon next to the name of the Google attribute, you will find information about its meaning.
By placing a check mark in the "Default Value" column, you can assign a unique value to each Google attribute for all products, rather than mapping.
In the "Shop attributes" column, select shop attributes to be assigned to a Google attribute. You can assign multiple shop attributes to one Google attribute. If you have several different size chats (ex: one for shoes, one for hats, one for tshirts), you can add them as the Google "size" attribute and we will make sure that Google recognizes the differences.
- In the "Shop Attributes" column, click on the "1st Value" field. All attributes from your plentymarkets system are offered for selection
- Select a shop attribute from the list you want to assign to the corresponding Google attribute.
- To assign another shop attribute to the Google attribute, click the "+" icon to the right of the first assigned attribute
- Repeat steps 1 to 3 until all desired shop attributes have been assigned to the Google Attributes.
Step 3: Product ID Settings
On the Format Settings page, select which of the three name fields in plentymarkets should be used for the product title. In addition, you can set how the description text is put together and what value is taken over as GTIN in the data feed:
- For "Title", choose whether to import the value of "Name 1", "Name 2" or "Name 3" from plentymarkets as a product title
- For "Description", select whether the preview text, the article description, the technical data or a combination of article description and technical data should be imported
- For "GTIN", select the value to be imported from plentymarkets
Filter out HTML / convert line breaks
If you use HTML tags in formatting your product descriptions in plentymarkets, it may be useful to remove these tags during import. To remove HTML tags and line breaks on import, you can enable the appropriate switches:
Complete the format settings
Click "Finish" as soon as you have made the desired format settings.
Step 4: Match store categories with Google Categories
The Product Import Wizard gives you a convenient option for assigning your shop categories to matching Google Shopping categories.
- On the left side in the column "Shopsystem category" you can see all categories imported from your shop, on the right side in the column "Google Shopping Category" you can choose one of the offered Google categories.
- In the result list, click on the best matching category. If no matching category is offered, look for a different term.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 until all shop categories have been assigned a matching Google Shopping category.
Note: Display / remove already assigned categories
Once you have assigned a webshop category, it will be removed from the list of categories still to be assigned. To display already assigned categories, deselect the "Hide assigned categories" check box:
Click "Next" in the lower right corner once a Google Shopping category has been assigned to all webshop categories.
Note: You can also completely skip the category assignment and perform it later. Appropriately selected Google categories are important to the success of your campaigns, so it is highly recommended that you carefully classify the categories.
Step 5: Upload the product data to Google Merchant Center
Finally, click upload to upload your products into the GMC. It may take up to 24 hours to get approved.
In the mean time: you can create a campaign in your emarketing account right after uploading, and it will automatically begin serving as soon as the products have been approved in Merchant Center.