With emarketing you can run Google's most sophisticated Shopping campaign type, the Google Smart Shopping Campaign (SSC).
SSC are based on machine learning algorithms. All click prices, ad targeting and platforms for displaying your ads (Google search, Google search and display network, Google image search, YouTube) are managed automatically.
SSC are optimized for maximizing ROAS (Return-on-Advertising-Spend; factor describing how much revenue is generated by your ad spend. E.g.: A ROAS of 10 means that your campaign generated €10.- revenue by spending €1.- for displaying ads).
Running a SSC means that you do not have to worry about campaign settings anymore. You just have to upload your products to Google, create the SSC, set your daily budget and watch conversions come in.
Another advantage over classic Shopping campaigns is the inclusion of Remarketing, your SSC will automatically deliver Remarketing Ads for your products, there's no need to setup and manage separate Remarketing campaigns anymore.
Compared to setting up a SSC in Google Ads, the emarketing approach offers some major advantages:
- Use emarketing's Filter Set feature for selection of products to be advertised by your SSC.
- Besides standard attributes used for filtering products (e.g. brand / manufacturer, product type etc.) emarketing offers smart filtering.
- Smart filters use product level performance data. E.g.: You could define a filter exluding products when they reach a user defined number of ad clicks without converting, thus focussing your valuable ad spend budget on converting products.
- Smart filters can also include data from emarketing's price comparison: emarketing offers a unique price crawler. Based on your products GTINs (UPC, JAN, EAN, ISBN) emarketing provides your competitors prices on Google Shopping and Amazon. That pricing information can be used for smart filtering. You can choose to include only those products in your campaign which you offer at the best price point.
NOTE: You can setup a SSC as soon as you have connected emarketing to Google Ads and Merchant Center (described here if you use your existing Google Ads account or here if you want emarketing to create a new Google Ads account for you).
Keep in mind that you must have approved products in your Google Merchant Center before the campaign will start delivering ads. If you did not import/upload your products yet, click here to learn how to do this.
Before your SSC can start delivering ads, you must have at least 100 users on your Remarketing list in Google Ads. In case you are using an emarketing plugin for your shop system the remarketing tags required to fill that list were installed automatically to your webshop. If you do not use an emarketing plugin, please make sure Google Global Site Tag, Google Remarketing Tags and Google Ads Conversion Tracking (including real basket values for conversions) were setup properly, otherwise your SSC will not work.
As soon as you have setup and activated your first SSC through emarketing, your product data will be refreshed automatically once within 24 hours.
Setting up your first Google Smart Shopping Campaign
- On the main page of your emarketing account, search for the Google Ads tile and click Start (Tools -> Google Ads -> Start):
- Scroll down and click Create Campaign:
- Fill in the campaign setup form:
- Name: Enter any name for your campaign.
- Daily budget : Set your ad spend budget for the campaign.
NOTE: The daily budget is the maximum amount that will be spend by your campaign per day. Google's smart algorithms will handle the daily ad spend adaptively. The campaign might not spend the full amount on days where Google calculates a low probability for conversions. On days where Google assumes a good conversion rate, the daily ad spend can exceed the daily budget set. Google will never overcharge you, at the end of a month the maximum ad spend will be 30,4 x daily budget.
- Max. CPC: Set any value. Maximum click price for clicks on your ads is not used anymore for SSC. The value you enter will be ignored and set automatically through Google's smart bidding algorithm. This setting will be removed soon from our user interface.
- Priority: Choose any value, this settings is also obsolete and will be removed soon.
- Filter-set: Leave this empty if you want to advertise all your products. In case you would like to advertise a sub set of your product portfolio, you can choose from a list of all Filter Sets you created.
NOTE: Information on how to create Filter Sets is to be found here.
- Click Save Changes (top-right corner of the page).
- The new campaign will be shown as a tile:
NOTE: The campaign tile will show campaign performance data as soon as that data becomes available in Google Ads. After creating the campaign it will take some hours until it starts delivering ads. Dependent on the number of visitors in your webshop it might take some days until the required number of 100 users in your Remarketing list has been reached. If your campaign does not start delivering ads within one week after activating it, please contact our support staff.
Setting up additional Smart Shopping Campaigns for the same target country
With emarketing you can setup multiple Smart Shopping campagins targeting the same country. This might be useful if you would like to run separate campaigns for different brands, or campaigns containing your best selling products only, seasonal campaigns etc.
For setting up additional campagins repeat the steps described above at Setting up your first Google Smart Shopping Campaign.
NOTE: If you want to run multiple campaigns in the same target country, make sure each campaign has its own and individual selection of products. A products should be contained in one campaign only. The set of products contained in a campaign is defined by the Filter Set applied to that campaign.
Setting up Smart Shopping Campaigns for another target country
Your emarketing account supports targeting multiple countries. Each target country requires its own product data in your Google Merchant Center.
Before you can setup campaigns for another target country, you must switch your emarketing account to that target country:
- At the top-right-corner of your account, click the gear icon, select My Account:
NOTE: Current region is the target country your account is set to.
- The section Data Feed / Countries with products presents a country flag for each country you have an approved product data feed for in your Google Merchant Center:
- Click the desired flag to switch your account to that target country.
- Perform the steps described above at Setting up your first Google Smart Shopping Campaign to create a campaign for your additional target country.
NOTE: If the flag of the country you would like to target is not shown, make sure you have setup a data feed for that country. In your Google Merchant Center check if that data feed was approved by Google. After uploading a data feed for the first time it might take up to 72 hours until Google has finished the product validation. When targeting foreign countries, your data feed must match some requirements in order to get approved by Google. Product titles and descriptions must be provided in the language of the country targeted. You must also provide proper currency and pricing information. For some countries English can be used instead of the countrys language. Click here for an overview of country specific data feed requirements.
Edit / Activate / Deactivate / Delete campaigns
- Click Tools -> Google Ads -> Start.
- Scroll down to emarketing campaigns.
- Click the campaign tile to open the campaign editor.
- Make your changes and click Save Changes (top-right-corner).
- To delete a campaign, click the Trashcan icon (top-right corner of the page) and confirm the security request by clicking Delete.